I am pleased to announce that this week EcoModder gave birth to a brand new forum:
The more we found out about Mitsubishi’s design/engineering approach to this new car, the more we liked it:
– It’s purpose-designed to be light (~1910 lbs in Australian trim)
– It’s aerodynamic (Cd 0.27 to 0.31, depending on options – above average for a subcompact 4-door hatch)
– It’s efficient (1.2L, 12v 3-cylinder engine with variable valve timing, and a smaller 1.0L available in some markets), with CVT or 5-speed
– It’s safe, having scored 5/5 stars in recent ANCAP crash tests
– Oh, and it’ll probably be fairly cheap to buy, too.
It’s looking possible it may even have the best combined MPG for any non-hybrid available in the U.S. and Canada, which could make it the first non-hybrid to match the Geo Metro’s fuel economy since that car was last sold over a decade ago. (That’s speculation, of course, until we see the official numbers.)
The company is even marketing it in some regions with the tag line “Less is more“. Clearly that’s an EcoModder-compatible design philosophy if we’ve ever seen one. So we decided to make a dedicated site for the new Mirage and see what happens.
The car debuts in North America this week. (In Montreal, for the Canadian market, with fall availability). The U.S. will see it at the New York show in March, with fall availability. It’s launching in the U.K., Australia and N.Z. too, and has been available in southeast Asia since 2012.
Any of that catch your interest? Want to learn more? Drop by and say hello:
Also see a few EcoModder discussion threads about the new Mirage:
Popularity: 6% [?]