View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
mpguino acted up today, lost mpg during fuel cut

After changing my fuel injectors awhile back and getting a few tanks of data, I readjusted the usec/gal and since then has been almost dead on. This week hasn't been so great with all the wind and ice-scraping mornings, but today was a very nice warm day, like 70F.

I keep it on the first screen which shows instant mpg, current mpg, speed, and distance. It acted normal the first leg of the trip, 36 current mpg was a little better than usual, fitting well with being so warm out. Then I lost 3 mpg climbing the hill, normal. Gained back to just about 34 current mpg before the long downhill, normal. Then I went down the hill for at least 1/2 mile, which is one of the few locations where my car will perform a fuel cut every time. And I usually gain about 1/2 mpg during the cut. Instant mpg went to 999999 when it cut, like normal, and the car acted normal. But after coming out of the fuel cut, I noticed current was only at about 31.5 mpg. I was like wtf??? Did I go through one of those alien wormholes? From there home is about 4 1/2 miles and it is a beat up side road and I can creep along at 45 and usually gain another 3/4 mpg or so. Which I did, it acted totally normal after the fuel cut. I checked distance after getting home, which was accurate at about 25.6. I was on the way to an easy 35 mpg home today, yet the guino said 32 something when I got home. I also noticed my tank mpg was in line with the loss, since I was very close to 33 mpg for the tank (all around here with ice cold mornings and wind) and after the current mpg loss the tank mpg dropped to like 32.7.

Has anyone ever experienced this before, losing mpg during a fuel cut? It never flashed, blanked, frose, reset, anything. It acted totally normal other than the calculation during fuel cut.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver

Last edited by wagonman76; 05-20-2009 at 11:41 PM..