View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

I have been considering the issues at hand. . .and they are many. . . but I'm still going to go forward.

Yeah I decided on a different chain(tractor accessory chain ^_^ got it from the shop). The teeth on the bike are about right so maybe a little tweaking and I'll be ok there.

Bump start should be easy to implement. Sorry folks I'm not a hypermiler, The pedals will be coming off and going for stationary(solid) pegs.

The 5hp from the chainsaw. . .its a homelite x12 and I think its either 54 or 56 cc(normal scooters are under 50cc usually), will likely put me in range of truly terrifying speeds on just a bicycle.

I've ridden motorcycles. . .but they feel a little more protected at highway speeds while bicycles feel very uncomfortable at near highway speeds lol.

Pulse and glide would be very rough in the motor for this application(bump starting every time on such a small displacement engine). I think I'll be content with 130-150s.

I would have started and finished the project. . .but a friend had a clutch blow out so I had to drive over and start the replacement process. Just a few more bolts to get access to the clutch and then I have to put it back together. Probably sunday before I get time to do anything -_-. . .

It's officially too large of an engine to qualify as a scooter. . .but I think I can pop the name plate off and avoid any serious questions.