View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
Its technically a 4sd, but 1st gear is really extra low and isn't used in day-to-day driving. Since I start in 2nd gear 99% of the time, I think of it as a 3spd.
The main thing is that is top gear at minimum RPMs I'm only going 30mph.
You have a real 4 speed with a very strong 1st, non-syncro'd is annoying but not the end of the world, what say you to doing a $50 junkyard gear up of your rearend?

My subaru 360 has a non syncro'd 1st and gets along fine, rather a pain if I have to downshift to 1st but not impossible if absolutely needed.

Re-Gearing your rearend differential is much cheaper than changing transmissions and the gains are very real. Plus you would get to use all 4 gears and could cruise along in 3rd instead of 4th when in town and you still would have 1st for power but would either need to stop to downshift or get a tach and double shift which is learnable.

The only other issue after the swap would be to change your speedo gear.

If I were you I would go for it, I did it in my 89 diesel and jumped mileage up to around 28mpg, sadly the 700r4 transmission was too weak to deal but it was nice while it lasted, your manual shouldn't have that issue.

Cheers
Ryan