View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
AmpEater
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
I believe the 2 motor setup would be a better choice, producing above 60 HP between the 2 motors. This, I believe, Would increase the top speed of the car greatly, While providing incredible amounts of torque in the low end. But, I do realize that it would have poor effects on the range of the car.

I also plan on building a BMS system from scratch. This will include modules for each batteries, as well as a central computer to monitor the packs and alert if there are problems.

Well I think thats it for now. I would love to hear your comments.

-Adam
From a purely performance standpoint 2 motors would definitely be superior, but only if you are already exceeding the power handling of a single motor. Its more about "motivation" than how much motor you have. Twin motors won't perform any better than 1 if you're driving it all with a 500a Curtis. With the added weight probably even worse. Even a single 9" would likely handle all the peak power you're going to be able to push into it unless you're going >1000a or >200v

2 does increases your sustained output by a factor of 2, but only as long as the batteries can keep up, which isn't long enough generally to warrant it.

In terms of range I don't think 2 would effect things as much as you suspect. Most people think this way because we are so used to dealing with engines.....big V8s get worse mileage than 4 cylinders even driven at the same speed. But in EVs its all about wh/mile and 2 motors operating at 90% efficiency doesn't use any more power than 1 motor operating at 90% efficiency, unless you're pushing things so hard that the 1 motor is overheating.... The added weight is more of a concern.

If this is your first conversion I would recommend a single motor from a headache / simplicity standpoint. I really, really wanted twin motors but in the end I was glad I went with just 1, there was plenty of other stuff to keep me busy instead.

Looks like an awesome project.....keep that momentum going!