View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Cost of running an Engine Block Heater

I'm having my EBH installed on Friday and I'm getting my ducks in a row to maximize it's usage. A couple issues I am tackling right now and need your advice/suggestions.

I have easy and free access to power at work but at home it's a different story. The closest parking space to my apartment is roughly 100 feet away and running a cord across the parking lot would probably not be allowed and in the winter I would run the risk of plows catching the cord and tearing it from my car/wall in my home. Not to mention, running the EBH off my own electric costs money and I'm searching for free options. I've walked the grounds and can't find any outlets anywhere that I could tap into without alerting the management staff.

There are tenants that rent garages on the grounds and I believe they have power outlets in them (not confirmed). Maybe I can talk one of them into letting me plug into their power source (which they pay no extra fee for).

I don't want to go to the complex management because I know they will charge me for plugging in.

On the same note does anyone know the cost of running a 400w EBH for 3 hours a day for 180 days (my estimate is around $200)? My local electric company charges .10 per kwh. Think my math is correct at around $200 for my example.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!