View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
warning!!! amateur math ahead

i'd be somewhat surprised if this would actually reduce drag in it's current form. but aerodynamics are a complex matter that sometimes go against what one would expect

i'd either reduce the overall height by about half or reduce the height only in the center section.

on the well documented 0.26 Cd calibra it was found that raising the center of the airdam actually reduced drag als although this car had a rough engine cover and some large cavities patched up, it by no means had a perfectly flat underside.

after seeing some new low drag mercedes designs where the lower bumper edge smoothly curves to the undertray i'm even considdering shaveing off the small lip spoiler on my car in the center.

i did some quick calculations and perhaps you might want to substiture more accurate numbers if you have them

but from what i could google up i believe the dimentions of the car are

1.585 meter wide and 1.340 height, according to carfolio

the previous model had a Cd of 0.32 wich looks about right for this car too

so 1.585x1.340=2,1239 sqare meter now from the back of my head i think it's about right to take 81% of this to get the actual frontal area (correct me if i'm wrong... wich i likely am)

that gives a frontal area of 1,72 sqare meter

1.72X0.32 = 0,5504 CdAm˛ that's pretty good

i estimte the airdam adds about 20cm of height, so that makes for0.2X1.585=0,317 square meter
i almost forgot the dam covers the tires and so the area of the tires have to be substracted as it was already figured into the original value

if the dam is as high as the exposed tires and they're both about 20cm wide than thats 0.2m x 0.2m x2
that's 0.08
0,317-0.08=0,237
wich adds up to a total of

what we can do now is calculate what the maximum Cd of this new configuration has to be to realize a break even situation the actual Cd has to be lower than that to get an actual improvement over the base car

1.72X0.32 = 1,957xA => (1.72X0.32)/1,957 = A = 0,28

that means the new drag coeficient has to be lower than 0.28 in order to achieve any improvement
that mean that the dam has to improve the Cd by more than 12,5% for it to have any positive effect

anyway it's all a bit generic but i wanted to see if the figure was remotely achievable of not, but honestly i don't know if this is realistic... but it seems a lot...

Last edited by lunarhighway; 08-19-2009 at 06:17 PM..