View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
250 = 3/4 ton pickup. Your available tongue weight should not exceed something like 1000lbs, and you can PULL several tons without issue. Make sure you've got a trailer that can handle the load, and load it with very little forward bias. You really don't want to weigh down the axle that much, if you can get away with it. Doing it this way is part of the reason I can tow cars on utility trailers with a 4 cylinder S10.

In fact, we just brought home a trailer load of 16" 2x lumber (6's, 8's, and 10's) from a house I was salvaging parts from.

It was loaded heavy enough to squat a pair of 14.5" Trailer axle tires (the ones that go on travel trailers) with 55 PSI in them to the point that I didn't feel safe going faster than 45MPH with the load. It made no difference in the feel of the truck, besides accelerating/decelerating much more slowly. No sway, no bounce, etc.

I do this with an unclassified hitch, as well. It's made from a mold plate, about 1" thick. (I don't have a traditional hitch/receiver setup, mine came from a 10,000LB tow motor.)

If I can do that, I'm sure you can pull with your 250.