View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Should a diesel be longstroke/undersquare?

I wonder, because I'm thinking about taking a shot at the diesel/gas engine thing...

I have a few 300 inline 6 Ford engines laying around in various stages of completeness, and they're not really worth trying to sell or rebuilding without a use for them, so they just hang out because I don't want to throw them away, either.

The specs for it are 4" bore x 3.92" stroke, or basically square.

My question is: Should I be working with sleeving the pistons down to 3" or so, or using a longer stroke, or will the 4x4 measurement be OK to use?

From what I've seen/been told, most diesels have undersquare or longstroke configuration, but I see no reason that it can't work out being nearly or completely square.

I'm hoping to be able to use the OEM crank, but replacing the pistons and rods, and having the cam welded/ground to be more diesel-cycle friendly.

I'm kind of wary about posting this here, since I already know that the general consensus is one that it can't be done, don't bother... but I don't care, really. I just want to play with it awhile. Who knows, I might learn something in the process?

So anyway, feedback/help is appreciated here, as always.