View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Nice thread... I think I included tubercles in my mega write up... but I'm with donee on this one

Quote:
I do not see a real obvious eco-modder applications. But it certainly would be a great thing for these big wings they put on ricer cars. They could generate more downforce for less drag.
These are useful when you have a sharp leading edge on a plane parallel(ish) to flow... Like a turbine blade, whale fin etc. Ideally, one shouldn't have pointy bits, planar leading edges etc.

Quote:
The working fluid is different as well. Somewhere in my fluid mechanics texts I have the method to calculate changes in fluid/speed/power/etc in order to do scale modeling. Buckingham Pi method IIRC
Reynolds number Make them equivalent by changing the density property, then adjusting velocity to keep a constant ratio...

Anyone know the average velocity of a whale with tubercles? Or better yet, the relative ocean velocity of a whale with tubercles?