View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrstphrR View Post
Guess you'll find out how it'll fair until you run with it on 'til spring is back again.

I noticed too, with silverinsight2's mention of your Picasa web folder, there's more pictures there than were shown off here, showing yet additional fairings. LOTS of work went into this, and if you are getting your additional 7mpg, at least you've something tangible to show for it.

I'll have to look at my underbody pictures I took the summer before, and plot and scheme how I'll attach similar fairings. Fairings and living in the snow belt have kept a few of us a bit wary of going too aggressive with smoothing out down below -- because of concerns about snow and ice packing, or how it could pack more sand/salt crud used to melt it in on the underside where we'd prefer it not to be.

Please be sure to update how it performs after winter's through.
Hi Christopher,

I plan on adding more pictures of the other panels to this thread, so those who are interested, do not have to look at the other posting on Google.

You are right, in that the snow, and it's affect on the panels is a concern. More specifically, those hard, crusty, pieces of hard ice that drop off the cars could *really* cause a problem with these panels. The panels are plenty strong for high air speeds, but no match for a carefully placed 'snow crusty'.

I also have to make a fender-well snow guard for the rear wheels, to keep snow from packing in that area, similar to the front. With the weather getting colder, it may be a bit tough, but we will give it a try.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 10-20-2009 at 01:40 PM..