View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
Nice to hear from you again!

If I am reading what you have said about the relative lack of air on underside of the vehicle compared to the sides and top, it would seem that you could conclude that the taper on the underside of the aerocivic is too steep.

I remember reading in that thread somewhere, that you asked Mike if he had performed tuft testing in that location. How much higher can the 4° go before air detachment would be a concern in this location?

Jim.
The underside of my boattail is steeper than I would have liked it, but I have a sharp approach to my driveway and didn't want to risk dragging the bottom of the boattail. I haven't tuff tested the underside of my boattail. I can't see it when I'm driving and don't have any aeronut neighbors to follow me, observe, and make sense of what they were seeing. But I have noticed that sections on the rear of vehicles that have turbulent flow tend to collect dust and dried deposits of dirt from water/salt spray. The underside of my boattail doesn't collect get dirty, so it can't be too turbulent under there. The side taper helps in allowing air to fill in the space between the road the underside of the boattail.