View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
JackMcCornack
EcoModding Apprentice

Whaddyamean, jamesqf, like the ones on my avatar?

Yeah, there's some low hanging aerodynamic fruit on that car, all right. Front fenders were the first thing to go. Since when it comes right down to it, the aerodynamic goal of everything forward of the thickest part of a car is to keep the airflow attached so the rear of the car can pull it back in again, I figure I can tuft test my way from front to back. Anyway, the pontoons between the rear and front fenders are 26 gauge metal roofing (light, cheap, painted already) the front fenders are molded fiberglass, the top part of the empty space rearward of the wheel is also molded fiberglass and the lower part is...cardboard right now, I hadn't made those patterns before the data burglary.

The front fenders look a bit blunt, and indeed they are, but I think adding length to the back of the car will have greater results than adding length to the front (so for any reasonable overall length, the lowest drag will be achieved with a fairly blunt nose), and the bulbous bit forward of the wheel is necessary to fit a headlight inside (centered at the legal 22" above the asphalt).

PS--somebody please tell me (in painstaking detail) how to post jpgs on this site. Everything I've posted to date has come out a thumbnail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	4766