View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
MetroMPG.com: Electric pusher trailer

Wow. It's been 2 years since I daydreamed up the topic for a December 2005 MetroMPG.com article called "All I want for Christmas is a plug-in hybrid pusher trailer".

In that post, I mused out loud about "hybridizing" the Blackfly ... not by tinkering under the hood, but by adding a 3rd pair of wheels!

My idea was the reverse of something I'd seen a couple of creative EV owners tackle to extend the range of their 100% battery-powered cars:

The Porsche in this photo is a pure EV. Its trailer is a fully functional front half of an early 80's VW Rabbit: ICE-powered (Internal Combustion Engine), automatic transmission. The Porsche owner installed a simple set of controls to "drive" the pusher trailer: an ignition/starter switch and throttle control.

The owner claims this setup is completely stable in all driving conditions.

The idea for the Metro was the mirror image: an electrically-driven trailer for around town use. Since most of my city trips are low speed/short distance, I figured I could pull it off technically, and end up with something like this:

(from MetroMPG.com - All I want for Christmas is a plug-in hybrid pusher trailer)

Having successfully built the ForkenSwift, I still think about this idea.

I really think it could work - and it would get around the issues of owning two vehicles (parking, insurance, maintenance) - an EV for town use, and an ICE for longer trips.

And obviously, other people do too. I still get mail on the subject. I'll post one reader's response in a few minutes.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget