View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gone4
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Dirty little secret: All rain is acidic. Rain falling through the air reacts with the carbon dioxide in the air to form carbonic acid. On remote Pacific islands, far from any source of sulfur dioxide) the pH of the rain is about 5.6.
I'm not talking about slightly acidic rain, I am talking about real acidic rain that has literally destroyed thousands of acres of plants in some areas around me, in the past. The emissions from Detroit actually affected New England's rain so much that there are records of rain as acidic as 2.6 in my home town alone. In some other places records fall around 1.9. It's not a dirty secret that many plants like a slightly acidic soil. It's like saying because humans need a few parts per a billion of iodine to be healthy that we should all go drink buckets of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView View Post
If diesel was 10 bucks a gallon. Imagine what i'd cost in shipping to get stuff off the internet :EEK!: It'd probably cost more than the product itself to get it to you. Not to mention the even more truckers being below the poverty line. More recession in the US, then we get (another) depression because the cost of food goes up, and living, and eventually the US dollar is worthless, and gas is now 100 bucks a gallon, and bread is 35 bucks a loaf.
If diesel were $10 a gallon we could go back to local production and local farming. How is that a bad thing? The implications of expensive fuel are only terrible if we refuse to try and consume less of it and just try and pay the new prices.