View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
My only complaint is the price spread, I have no issue with 5~7$ a gallon Diesel as long as Gasoline is Similar in price.

My "theory" Lots of Manufacturers ( Honda, Ford, VW +++) are introducing new Diesels this year (saves lots of fuel!!) but Oil companies love gasoline and love SUV's; so run up the price of Diesel and people will stick to their SUV's.
Naw, this happens every winter... Diesel is very similar to heating oil. So in the winter, demand goes way up while supply doesn't change too much due to refinery capacity (also keep in mind that only a certain amount of diesel comes out of a barrel of oil - they can't just make it all diesel).

In the summer, gasoline prices will go up and diesel prices will come down a little... But perhaps not much if the value of the dollar goes down...

Diesel

Gasoline

It's not collusion - it's economy. Print more money, drop the fed, etc... inflation goes up, value of dollar sinks but the value of resources remains constant - so we pay "more." We're not paying any more (value wise) than we were - we just don't have the value....