View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chris D.
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
My beds 60"(5") X 76"(6'4")

I'm going to mock something up out of 1/8" thick board thats 4x8, and I've thought about making it so it hinges in the center for a half section..

Make it quick release and you can pop it off and fold it up and off to the side if I need to use the bed for larger objects.. Maybe even a trifold.. ? maybe not..

I'll use the 4x8's cut to size to they cover half of the bed, then frame the underside with 2x1's, Liquid nails wood adhesive and finish nails from the top into the frames..

2 hinges in the middle..

I just need to figure out a setup for a quick release, I'm thinking a bungie cord type deal with some brackets.. And so the flimsey 1/8" panel doesnt bow of flex because its whats on the topside of the bed, i'll jse L brackets placed so far that go on the wooden frame to the top of the bed.. Then use some campershell stick on foam to seal it up..

The only thing is that my tailgate is smooth and I have the handle flipped to the inside..

Then maybe hit it up with some marine epoxy paint to weatherproof it?
And if I'm feeling squirley I'll cover the top with some sort of material to hide the hinging point..

So far I'm about 35 bucks into it..
more to come.. I'm just going to make a flat one for simplicity and then use some of that round foam stuff used to insolate water pipes and shove it inbetween the bed and cab to kill that air section off

Nobody attached that lip idea, help or hurt?

as for making an Areo shell, homedepot has some sweet fiberglass sheets of 4x6 thats very VERY flexable..

I'd frame up an areo setup and cover it with that stuff in a heartbeat!
Too rich fo rme right now tho..