View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
To be frank, I don't know how the data was collected but it seems to be from a data logger of individual trips. Any way I have experienced this effect myself. The efficiency slowly increases long after the engine is at temp. Probably part external engine components, part battery, part transaxle, part bearings.

Quote:
My gut feeling is that you'd get more mileage out of preheating the battery (by grid charging, perhaps?) or the ICE, but heating the tranny can't hurt.
I have noticed a big difference in rolling resistance when the tranny is cold. This has a continuous effect until it's warm so my hunch is that it makes a substantial difference. I would love to be able to grid charge the battery as this would give a double whammy by warming the battery and giving you way more assist. But it's a much more expensive proposition. It's on the wish list for sure.

I'm already preheating the engine coolant and will install a block heater soon.

Quote:
Phillips & Temro have quite the variety of heaters, but I have no idea how to order from them.
I looked through their catalog yesterday. Yummy. They have diesel warmers for running #2 all year, and many many interesting heating gadgets. I picked up a 1500 watt Series 8000 heater. They seem to be better built than the Kats versions. I got mine at a Lordco auto parts store. You have to ask to look at the catalog because my guy didn't even know they existed and at first told me they didn't carry them. Turns out they had one in stock for about $65.

Found them for you at JCWhitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/p...29&zmap=10837G

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.