View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
How to remove tires from rims manually (no damage).

This is more for scrapping the metals than anything, because honestly, how many times are you really going to do this in your life... However, it's not a difficult job, and only takes 5 minutes to remove a tire, and about 5 minutes to put one back on, even if you don't have the stand I have. (I used to do this with a bumper jack and a couple small trailer leaf springs.)

So, on with it:

First, remove the valve core from the rim using either a pair of pliers, a knife, etc... Whatever will get it out of there:

Next, you need to break both beads away from the wheel rim's seats:

On my tire stand, there is a pneumatic press that does this. I used to use a bumper jack with the ground stand on the end to do the same job:

I stand on the ram to keep it aligned while I start airing it up, and because the stand isn't bolted to the floor yet. It moves alot.

Next thing, after front and rear beads are released:

Place tire on stand, and insert the lug holder (little pin in the lug hole).

Place the locking collar:

And add air to lock. This prevents the wheel from moving/spinning around on the stand while you remove the tire from the wheel rim.

Making sure you're working from the front of the wheel, insert the tool from opposite your position, under the tire's bead and inside the rim. Line the notch in the tool up with the rim's lip and pull the tool back toward yourself:

Determine which direction you'd like to work, then, push the bar away from the center post, and forcefully draw it back against the post. It is very important that you let the tool spin in your hand when it hits the center post. This allows the tool to "walk" the tire's bead over the rim's lip. After you've done the face, do the rear the same way, except it needs to come over the face of the wheel, too. When you're done, you have:

Here's a short video demonstrating tire removal using the tire bar tool: