View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
NiHaoMike
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregte View Post
I ride a stationary bike whenever weather won't allow me to ride the real deal. I thought of configuring the bike to generate power to watch TV while pedaling. So I did math and finally concluded that it would never pay for itself. The electrical power that I could produce would be on the order of a penny a day, or not even that much.

The place that a generator on a stationary bike makes sense is if you have no electrical power, i.e. in your cabin in the hills. Or if you want to power a TV or stereo and use them as your incentive to do the exercise.

Consider that 1 horse power is 740 watts (or there abouts). That is 3/4 of a KW. If you can pedal at a rate of 1 HP for 1 hr. (you cannot) you could produce maybe 7 cents worth of electricity (@ $.10/KWH) if your machine were 100% efficient (it would not be).

Realistically you might produce 1/4 that much power if you are in really good shape. Your equipment and the transfer from pedal to electricity and then through the circuitry required to change it to 60Hz AC is probably gonna be 50% efficient at best. You are now looking at 1/8 of 7 cents for an hour of very hard pedaling. Not even a penny an hour.

Even if your equipment cost you a mere $100 it would take 10,000 hours of pedaling to break even. In that many hours your equipment would probably need replacement. You would never break even. In fact, my guess is that it would be a considerable net loss.
You forgot to factor in the fact that being as skinny as Tiffany Yep would improve your MPG and that during the winter, you'll stay warm and save a lot of energy by reducing heater use. (Conversely, during the summer, it would increase A/C use and not be worth it, unless it's evaporative or hybrid.) And for some, just being skinny like Tiffany Yep is a big benefit in itself.

Although it probably would make even more sense with a load that is already mechanical in nature, such as an air compressor. Now you're comparing the cost of a set of pedals to the cost of a motor, and it's clear what would win.

Building a pedal power bicycle 12 volt generator, ghetto style - EcoRenovator

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...