View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by saand View Post
I looked into this idea myself a month or so ago
The thread I started is here. It has some good responses
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-13824.html
Thanks saand, I'll look into that thread.

Quote:
The concept is definitely a good idea, the ECU configuration and design for the whole car is set up for the worst case conditions
Volvo used this concept on their DrivE-models fitted with the same engine - apart from the usual ecomods (LRR tyres, lowering, wind deflectors), they also have a remapped ECU that makes them use less fuel.
Actually, these eco-versions also have a better driveability than the original version of the car that I have

Their official FE went from 5 L/100km on my car to 4.5 L/100km on the first DrivE version, then to 3.9 L/100km (with a start/stop function) - that's a 22% change !
If anyone got that sort of FE improvement just from applying the usual ecomods and switching off the engine more often, I think they'd be very happy

Quote:
Unfortunately the implementation can be difficult.
From what I have read you can usually change out the eeprom or connect up a daughter board which will override settings
The upgrade I'm looking at is fully reversible, and is done over the OBD2 port.

In a worst-case scenario, I could have the Volvo dealership overwrite the upgraded software.

Quote:
If your getting a chip tuning place to do the work for you there is the disadvantage of you might not understand what they are tuning out
I doubt I'll ever understand exactly what they're doing

But these E-Power remaps are specificly meant to improve FE, not so much the output power (though their is a slight power and torque gain at low RPM)

Quote:
If you have a bit of a search on google you will find some chip tuning web sites and instructions which might help.
Most of what's out there, is about pure power upgrades, with better FE claimed as a by-product. I don't care about the extra power.

Quote:
As for my solution I will just be "fooling" the ECU by either overriding its outputs or changing its inputs so it does what I want.
That's the sort of upgrade I'd not do - but it may be the only option for your car.
That way you're fooling the logic in your car into thinking some parameter is different from what it actually is.