View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 05:28 AM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
Arminius
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Lower Grill Block 2005 Honda Civic

I finally received my Scanguage yesterday, so I decided to run an experiment on a lower grill block. I drove 8-mile runs on Highway 16 from Hartland (H) to Oconomowoc (O), WI and then back.

Here are the results (average mpg) in the order in which they occurred:

With grill block (cruise set on 52 mph):

H to O: 46.2 mpg
O to H: 45.9 mpg

Without grill block (cruise set to 52 mph):

H to O: 44.9 mpg
O to H: 44.9 mpg

Without grill block (cruise set to 51 mph):

H to O: 45.0 mpg
O to H: 46.0 mpg (see notes on this stat below, underlined)

With grill block (cruise set to 51 mph):
H to O 46.2
O to H 46.2

A couple of notes:

The grill block consisted of layers of packing tape, so it was not flush with the bumper.

The stats on the Scanguage were reset at the same specific points (road signs) at the beginning of each run. Resulting stats were recorded at the same specific points (road signs) at the end of each run. The car was up to speed and set on cruise at least a quarter of a mile before the beginning of each run.

The road was slightly wet, but there was no rain or puddles. I did not use the wipers.

Weather:
Temp: 38 degrees F
UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From WNW at 4 mph
Humidity: 96%
Pressure: 29.45 in.
Dew Point: 37°F
Visibility: 8.0 miles

This experiment took place between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM CST. I stayed in the right lane at all times. I kept the radio and fan off, so the headlights were the only device I had on. I was passed by only one car on each run, going in each direction. The exception was the last run without a grill block (O to H: 46.0 mpg), when a semi passed in front of me for the last 60 seconds of the run, most likely providing improved stats due to drafting.

There were no other modifications to the exterior of the car, including the upper grill.

Last edited by Arminius; 04-14-2008 at 04:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Arminius For This Useful Post:
mpg_numbers_guy (02-18-2018)