View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
2007 ion2
EcoModding Lurker

no one in st. louis knows what I am talking about. I would hate to have to use all sheet aluminum. I guess I will have to get it from the internet (I can't even find a decent vendor online)...

thanks, I do coast , my car has a Cd of about .32-.33, I reckon (coupe is .31, I have mud flaps and a different nose), and coasts like a dream. it also shuts off the engine while coasting in gear, and has engine braking (manual trans, and saves further gas).

I like/kinda need the mud flaps (see: snow and rain), but actually plan to let them help me fair over the rear wheels down to the rocker panels (the only challenge will be attaching/detaching them for tire changes). the belly pan (to the air dam) is in my plans, but if I go to the axles, I fear lack of cooling airflow for my particular car. I plan on testing blocking the lower grill both completely and half way, while watching my intake and coolant temps (as I said, these are concerns, especially in conjunction with the belly pan). tire fairings and airflow managing devices in front of the front tires is on my list. all this just requires some creative thinking not to void any part of my warranty and facilitate safety/emissions testing.

I have plastic rivets and bolts around my wheel well liners at the fender line, but I need to figure out how to do all this the right way, and have it all be easily and quickly reversible. the first step will be (once I have the time), find some corrugated plastic and cardboard (have this part), then mock all this up. testing will likely take up a whole day, and I can only see making the wheel fairings out of aluminum (even the mock ups) the way they need to attach/detach (this aught to be fun). there doesn't happen to be anyone in the area who has done this before, is there? I would love to have a gas only car beating out a stock prius on the highway with only a couple visible mods.

right now I am looking for additional ideas, suppliers of materials, and ideas to attach the wheel fairings to the rear. also, anyone in the area, please speak up, I can't wait to get started on this project.

also on my list of must dos is filling the body gaps, they are large on this car to facilitate the polymer expansion ratio. I need an idea that will allow for constantly changing gaps...

and, food for thought, my mud flaps are actually in an interesting position, I would think they would aid in transitioning the air on the tail end of the tires (assuming the side profile was aerodynamically smoothed out).

Last edited by 2007 ion2; 09-09-2010 at 02:45 PM..