View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #44 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Comments noted. I'll see what I can do about adding some of that to an updated version.

As to the airbags vs ECU, they are two completely separate things.
The airbag computer is under the dash, right behind the stick shift. That was not modified in any way.

When I turn the car on, no check engine light comes on. It's a pretty basic car, with only a few analog displays. Besides speed, there are also dials for fuel and engine temperature. Frankly, I don't think the car even knows it's rolling anymore. At turn-on, the airbag light flashes 7 times, that's the correct self-diagnostic and indicator that the airbags are working correctly.

By default, without their sensors hooked up, the fuel gauge reads full, and the temperature gauge reads hot.
It shouldn't be terribly hard to find the other ends of those connections, and repurpose them, but I seem to recall that it was some odd style of resistance the sensors were looking for. I could make the gauges display something different, but it would be a lot of monkeying around.

I wasn't terribly uncomfortable on camera - it's that I was on camera, running the camera, running the sound, and producing the content all at the same time, and without cue-cards!

On a future project, it might be fun to do it with an actor (as long as they could donate their time.)

I also have an idea for another electric car instructional video that would feature interviews with a whole slew of interesting and knowlegable folks.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos