View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Can an automatic transmission be bump start an engine

I have been thinking about the concept of bump starting and its annoying that i cant do it in my automatic because i dont have control of the clutch. I have searched through some threads and not seen anyone actually bump starting an auto. I have recently converted my automatic to a manumatic which gives me control of the torque converter, and gear selection.

Now i am wondering am i now able to bump start. My idea is as follows
- if i am driving along and i go into neutral, my car is going say 60kph (which is top gear).
- i turn my engine off while moving at 60 kph in neutral, i then turn it back to the on position so that the engine is ready to fire but isn't actually turning.
- the car slows a bit and i want to speed it back up but i don't want to use my starter because i don't want to wear it out and i really don't want to get into a situation where my car wont start when im on the road.
- So i unlock the torque converter and shift the car into drive again at an appropriate gear. Hoping that the engine will get energy from the wheels and start back up.

I haven't tried this yet but before i potentially kill my transmission i thought id ask the group.
So is this a crazy idea, will the torque converter work in reverse, will this kill my transmission?

What does everyone think.