View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrowning View Post
I wonder what caused the hump in the curve for the Corolla? Aero? Surely it would have been in top gear before 60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKiefer View Post
you think its in high gear at such low speeds or is it somehow getting better mpg not in high gear .
I'm not surprised by it (only slightly so by the speed where it happens).

I have a hard time getting decent FE @ 90kph/56mph in 5th (top) gear, and it's the same with anything below 60kph/37mph in 4th.
The (smallish) engine revs low at these speed/gear combinations, barely 1600rpm.
I suspect it simply doesn't have the power to cope with the high loading.
A little bit faster, and it goes straight into its FE sweet spot around 100-105kph/62-65mph

Coming out of a deceleration phase and ending up in these situations, mpg will be OK. But any incline, or any attempt to accelerate will instantly result in a massive drop in mpg.
I've recently started to go back to 4th rather than stay in 5th, to come out of a tunnel on my commute and it seems mpg on the climb is better (or not as bad) in 4th.

I think I'm going to go ahead with an ECU remapping that gives more power and torque at lower revs.
I could use the odd extra 50 Nm around 1400-1600 rpm to bring the rpm down by 200-300 rpm - and drive in a higher gear.
As it is, the car needs a fair bit of throttle to get going smoothly.

HP and torque diagram of the Rica E-power remapping :

Last edited by euromodder; 11-18-2010 at 01:44 PM..