View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
sdnomad
EcoModding Lurker

If I decided to try and run the battery cooling fan, could I use a computer PS with 4 pin Molex fan connectors and simply plug the 4pin battery fan connector to the PS, instead of buying the Meanwell 12v PS?

Also, I noticed you used a Kill-A Watt meter on your charging. I have a Kill-A Watt meter already, so one less thing to get. How did you connect that and were you monitoring voltage?

Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Unless you're grid charging nightly (PHEV'ing), you don't need to worry about that.

Mike thinks I'm crazy for not running the fan, but in my testing, the battery didn't get hot enough (except in the summer) to worry about it. Most of the year, my battery is too cold. Besides, batteries are cheap. Btw, "no more cold batteries in the winter" is quite the overstatement.

A recalibration is when the BCM decides it was incorrect about the state of charge, and your SOC gauge moves. A "positive recal" is when you hit the BCM's upper voltage threshold, and the SoC jumps to 20 out of 20 bars. A negative recal has you jump to zero or one bar, which is incredibly annoying.

Last edited by sdnomad; 12-03-2010 at 07:29 PM..