Thread: sc1 aero mods
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
arcosine
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
sc1 aero mods

I want to do something like this:

Before 1998 SATURN SC1

After

After to many

I used drywall screws through the bumper and chassis, hotmelt and wire ties to attach the belly pan and rear wheel skirts. I was watching crs and SUVs driving in the rain on the feeway a few weeks ago. There is a surprising amount of turbulent spray coming out of the front wheel wells. The bigger the gap between the tire and fender, the more spray. I saw a UPS truck that had bristols between the tire and fender, filling the gap. I might try something like that with smooth hub caps.

The belly pan and skirts have made a difference, the car coasts farther, and I have to use more brake, I am driving faster with less throttle. The car gets up to 70 -75 mph with little effort. I am sure I could get super mileage of I had a kill switch to coast with. It would be really nice now if it had another higher gear. I could try taller tires, but handling would be affected.

I had a belly pan on my old saturn wagon and I could see leaves blowing out in back of the car, the air underneath was actually going back wards! I think the pan in the SC1 might be throwing up debris from the tires, as I don't seem to get s many tailgaters and cars stay a good distance behind, about 10 car lengths.

The right side mirror somehow broke off yesterday and I cut wires off. I can hear less turbulence on that side now. It was previously damaged when I first pushed the car into the garage and it was too far to the right.

Tony

Last edited by arcosine; 01-02-2011 at 10:02 PM..