View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #64 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
...So, if the heat conversion is significantly more efficient for electricity, than it is for gasoline -- and electricity is about equal to your diesel in *ideal* conditions, what is your point?
electricity mine to wall is ~%30 efficient

gasoline well to pump is ~%83 efficient

I'm not advocating gasoline, there are better, renewable, alternatives than electricity for transportation purposes however, ones that use 1/5 as much land as their solar counterparts, do not suffer range problems, or inefficient weight problems or outrageous cost problems for batteries that are 15 years away.

Regardless, I never said the heat conversion in electricity is significantly more efficient. By the time it gets to your outlet electricity is already down to %30 efficient, then you have to run a motor, and a controller, and charge batteries, and discharge batteries, and shlep those heavy batteries around everywhere, (the more range the more batteries).

Electricity is great in a dollars per mile sense if you ignore the initial costs, but is a lot less efficient than people are prepared to admit.

Last edited by dcb; 12-22-2010 at 10:59 AM..