View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #69 (permalink)
mnmarcus
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
I am highly suspicious of the 83% "efficiency" of gasoline -- sweet crude may have been this easy if you only count the refining stage. But crude is getting to be lower quality now, and even tar sands are being considered now. And extraction and transportation are energy intensive and cannot be ignored.
Me too! But I'm equally suspicious of ;

"It also helps to have ~85% efficiency (TW4XP) in the car..."

and

"Given the much higher ~90%+ Efficiency of modern electric drive systems ... and given the much much broader range of higher operating efficiency ... efficiency less effected by cold ... by load ... etc."

and

"This makes the BEV about ~300% more energy efficient compared to the ICE , at the vehicle level... or for a given amount of energy , the BEV I would generally expect to travel about ~3x as far.BEVs that end up weighing more will have more rolling resistance ... which is linearly related to weight ... so in order to counter the ~300% vehicle level energy efficiency ... the BEV weight would have to increase by close to ~300% ... which even lead sleds don't get that much heavier."

and pretty much every word of this

"EVs reduce CO2 by 11%-100% compared with ICEs and by 24%-65% compared with HEVs, and significantly reduce all other greenhouse gas emissions, using the U.S. grid mix. If all U.S. cars were EVs, we’d reduce global warming emissions even on today’s mostly coal grid. Using electricity strictly from coal, EVs still would reduce CO2 by 0%-59% compared with ICEs (two analyses found 0% change; seven others found reductions of 17%-59%) and might produce 30%-49% more CO2 than HEVs (based on only two analyses) on today’s grid. On the other hand, if electricity comes from solar or wind power, EVs eliminate all emissions. Using natural gas to make electricity, missions fall in between those from coal and renewable power."

But we get numbers from studies and (often in my case) searching the web. Should we just throw out the "bad" and "dirty" pro-gasoline info and ignore anything negative about "good" "clean" electricity?