Thread: sc1 aero mods
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
mpvue
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcosine View Post
In case you haven't noticed it's winter outside in the teens, 39 mpg is what GM claims for highway mpg, probably at 55 mph, not mixed driving in winter temps and 75 mph highway speeds. Sure I could hypermill but thats a pain. You can also view the fuel log and then I wouldn't need to explain.

My stock 93 SW2 got 36 mpg and you did all that work and only got 32-34? 3 previous Saturns all ran at 1/4 gauge stock temp.

No lowering springs man.

If you want a higher temp thermostat than 195 you can take the center pin out and grind it shorter. This will make it open at a hotter temp. I suggest using a thermometer to calibrate it in hot water on the stove, when your wife isn't home.
yeah, winter here too.
I remember seeing 40mpg on the window stickers when I was selling saturns in '02; the twin cam cars got 36mpg hwy.
my '93 SC1 had a '94 twin cam swap and a '92 header and a SPS exhaust and I hardly drove it gently, so my numbers are real world. I could get 36 if I was careful, and that's what they were rated for.
as for the temp, I have seen lots of S cars run at 1/4, but IMO they run better at 1/2 temp. if the ECTS is cracked or the wire is corroded, it might not give correct readings.
don't know why you wouldn't want lowering springs. S cars sit too high and could benefit from an 1" or so lower IMO.
regardless, I like what you're doing.