View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #104 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Phil, IIRC your trailer previously had 8" wheels. I had no idea, initially, that you were going for speed records. Clearly, 8" wheels are out. Even if you found tires I'd bet the bearings would seize. I'd think 13" wheels might work with 4 on 4 rims and H-rated rubbers. Just playing Mr. Obvious.

Cheers
kb (@kamperbob.com/blog)
KB,back in the late 1980s NHRA Top Fuel Dragsters were running a Goodyear Eagle racing front-runner tire which was going beyond 300 mph,on 6"-8" wheels.These are what I had hoped to run but now a dead end.
My search for aircraft aero tires turned up nothing rated beyond 127-mph in the 8" size.
Scooter tires are rated up to Z,but nothing below 13-inch wheel size,which would have the wheel/tire penetrating through the top of Vikings body.
The single wheel setup,coming from a sport bike and 17-inch diameter,gives me the slower turning bearings,H-rating,and over 700-lb load rating,which exceeds the total weight of Viking,and when centered,remains within the confines of the body.
I'll have to bounce this off Jim Burkdoll,as the tech inspectors will be deferring to his judgment.He has given me conditional permission to run with the trailer up to 130 mph so long as I provide a fixing link to arrest 'wagging',and a drag chute to keep me straight down course should the rig attempt to yaw.I'll be sending him an information packet for the new 'design' and see if I can get his blessing.
I would really like to know the accurate top speed of the truck,with and without the trailer and Bonneville is as safe a venue for this sort of thing as I can think of plus it gives me close access to Battle Mountain which will be hosting the Human Powered Speed Trials during the same week.