View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Brjan:
The state of Wisconsin pretty much DOESN'T HAVE ANY LAWS about electric vehicles.

The only one there is is about NEVs. I am assuming that you want a faster than 25 mile per hour vehicle. (Even if you didn't, I think that a low voltage conversion of a small gas car would be better/cheaper than buying an NEV.)

In Wisconsin, if you convert a gas car to electric, it will still be treated just as the gas car. The only things to watch out for are:

Insurance: Check with your agent first. Not a big deal though.

Emissions Testing: If you are in part of the state where there are emissions tests, you will have to get a manual exemption from that. It's not a big deal, it's just a trick to find the right person to talk to. I have the correct contact info for the Milwaukee area.

Electric motorcycles, scooters, and bikes also make great first-time conversions. They are fun and a little simpler to convert than a car.

If you get either COLLECTOR or HOBBYIST plates, you only have to pay the plate fee once, with no annual registration fee. In this case, you would need HOBBYIST plates, as the vehicle is "significantly modified". It's the same class that hot-rods fall in to.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos