View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
91CivicHatch
EcoModding Lurker

FlatBlackHatch - '91 Honda Civic Hatchback Standard
90 day: 40.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Filling up till the pump clicks off should be close enough, filling it till it over flows is a bad idea because at that point there is no space for the fuel to expand as it warms up.
Your 4 speed's 4 gear is pretty close to the same gear ratio as the 5th gear ratio that the 5 speeds have, it's just more space between each ratio, you could go with a CRX HF transmission and get a slightly better top gear ratio but I would only bother with that if you need to replace your transmission anyway.
Any of the lighter weight honda civic rims or crx rims will fit your car, the crx hf has narrower thiner steel rims that are lighter weight but look like plane steel rims, the civic vx, civic hx, early civic hybrid, first generation honda insight all have light weight rims that will bolt right on without issue.
I've always gotten my best mileage with stock exhaust from the dealership, the stock exhaust also has a warranty for as long as you own it so if you find your self replacing exhaust systems due to rust it's well worth it, they are also not that much more then auto part store brand exhausts but they are much better quality.
As for other crx hf parts that would fit on the civic hatch back, there is not alot, you could swap in the engine and ecu, but just like swapping in a transmission you might as well wait till it needs to be done anyway.
Thanks for the info....Now I understand about how the 4 speed can still get the same FE as the 5 speed I guess at least I don't have as many shift changes to deal with
Also, I had always wondered when I fill up if different pumps/gas stations would stop differently and therefore my FE would be off, but maybe they are actually closer than I think. I did a 40 mile fill up tonight and it only came to be about 34mpg (I was trying to neutral glide a lot, especially up to stoplights), but I was hoping to do better. I have a bad left front cv axle that is now starting to make a lot of noise so that is bothersome and I need to fix it sometime (although I think the boot has been torn for a year and a half.