View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
91CivicHatch
EcoModding Lurker

FlatBlackHatch - '91 Honda Civic Hatchback Standard
90 day: 40.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
If you are only putting a gallon of gas in the car then tempature is going to play as much of a roll as anything else, the fuel in the return line is warmed up and heads back to the tank, a 40 mile trip the fuel in the tank has warmed up a reasonable amount and at that point is taking up a bit more space, this is why it can appear that your fuel level has dropped while parked over night.

As for your driving style, keep it in gear and take your foot off the gas pedal, if your engine is warmed up, oil pressure high enough, engine speed above I think 1,100 RPM or so and then Honda's will cut the fuel injector so instead of burning a quarter of a gallon per hour or whatever your engine uses at idle it's using nothing.
Ryland, thanks for that explanation about gas. That makes sense because this morning I tried another test. I filled up at the same station as light night and numbers were 27mi/.78g = 34.68mpg. Then I filled up when I got closer to work and got 12.8mi/.836g = 15.4mpg. There is no way in my car I could get that low on a tank, and since the temperature here was near freezing, that could have played a roll (or the gas pumps could be different). I guess I was trying to find a way to test out techniques quicker, but maybe I need to wait until half a tank or else wait for the full tank to check.
I had read about DFCO, so I do use that sometimes. I was trying neutral from a far distance to get me to the light, but I may try more DFCO this time. I think you are right about the rpm's because for me in 4th gear, you can feel the car start to sputter when down to 25 which I think is around 1200 rpm. Hopefully my oil pressure is good then.
Also, just FYI, my daily commute is 25 miles one way. I don't take any interstates, so it's pretty much suburban traffic with a good number of lights and roads with PSL of 55 or 45 mostly.
Thanks for your help so far!