View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
AndrewJ
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
5th generation civic hatchback - improving aerodynamics

So in following the footsteps of the pioneer Basjoos before me, I too am setting out on the road of improving the aerodynamics of a 5th generation Honda Civic hatchback.

Goals are as follows:
1.) Improve aerodynamics from Cd: 0.32 to Cd: 0.26 or better (Honda Insight equivalent)
2.) Materials must be Weather, impact and wear resistant with a (projected) life of 5+ years of normal use.
3.) Overall design of components must be removable, with no permanent changes to the structure of the automobile.
4.) Aesthetic considerations play a role, notably in the S.W.M.B.O. test. (She Who Must Be Obeyed cannot object *too* strenuously to the aesthetics of the modifications).

In pursuit of these goals I plan to implement the following modifications, in roughly this order:
1.) Rear wheel fairings (not the most effective, I know, but the easiest, and most forgiving)
2.)Front wheel fairings
3.)Partial front belly pan
4.)Fiberglas front nose/splitter
5.)Boat-tail

And now for a quickly photochopped picture of phases 1-4

Now, to kick-off my little project I acquired a full sheet of 4-5mm (?) thick peice of white one-sided-grained ABS plastic. This actually took about a solid month of trying to track down my local plastics supplier. But today I actually found him and for a mere $75 took home a sheet of awesome white ABS.

ABS seems to me to be the ideal material for making fairings and such because of it's malleability under heat and because it can be "welded" with the right equipment. Luckily my local Harbor Freight store has the welding kit if I ever feel spendy, and they had a heat-gun on sale for $9.99 last week which I fortuitously saw fit to pick up even though I had no ABS at the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewJ For This Useful Post:
Dave's Civic Duty (12-17-2009)