View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Thanks again for the replies. Nemo, I agree a solution is out there and I may need to get a second opinion at some point, I just need to find it. The tire shop I used has a pretty good rep. though and they did give me the printout of the specs. They didn't change anything because it was all within Kia's spec.
CapriRacer, the link was helpful. I agree that these tires will probably never be quiet again, but anything I can do to help is worth a try. The tires aren't factory, they are Nokian WR's. I traded in the OE tires on them when I bought the car so I would have some decent traction in winter. They have 100,000km replacement warranty and I am sure I will use it as I don't think there is more than another 10-15,000km left on these tires. I agree I have an alignment issue, but I think it is a design issue and my chances convincing Kia of that are right up there with winning the lottery. Kia camber specs. are -.5*+/-0.5* front an -1*+/-0.5* rear. My camber is in the neg. side of that spec. and my toe spec is within the range in your chart. I found out recently that adjustable bolts and links are now available aftermarket, I think I will look into that before I replace these tires. My question still remains, when I get an alignment done again, should I be getting it done with a normal load in the car. If the car is loaded will it change the alignment enough to matter. Why I ask is that probably 80% of my driving and virtually all my highway driving is with 50-90% of max. payload.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km