View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
fjasper
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)
From what I understand, camber doesn't make as big a difference as you'd expect on edge wear, that's usually a toe issue, assuming inflation is ok.

If I was you, I'd have a good suspension guy take a close look at the control arm bushings, strut mounts, sway bar links, and any other rubber parts under there, and replace any that don't look good. These are basically wear-out items on a lot of cars these days, and if they're weak, they can allow the suspension to shift pretty dramatically under load. Mine were allowing the wheels to move a couple inches fore/aft under acceleration vs. braking, making it impossible to get the suspension set up right.

Then load the car up to the weight you usually run it and have the alignment checked that way. Just explain to them that you usually drive the car with this load. If they don't want to align it because it's not at the "correct" height, find a better shop. It might be that you need some aftermarket parts to get it to align right under load. Camber bolts or slotted holes, as mentioned above, are pretty straightforward. Or you could up-rate the springs, but that can take some research to find the right ones.

Some suspensions alter toe when they compress, for handling reasons or because of compromises in design. I think VW had a little ad campaign a few years ago pointing out that the rear wheels would toe in when the suspension compressed, supposedly making the car handle better. If this sort of thing is happening, the loaded alignment should find it.

Another (remotely) possible factor is that if the suspension is sufficiently compressed, you might be outside the optimum damping range of the shocks, which can allow some uncontrolled suspension motion. There are shocks that don't have this problem, but they tend to be expensive. Koni Sport yellow shocks are supposed to have linear damping throughout their range of travel.

I've been told that if you run a tire one direction for a long time and then run it the other direction, you run an increased risk of tread separation, but that might be an old wive's tale. I had a tire shed about 20 square inches of tread one time, but it was on a recently purchased used car, so I didn't know the history.