View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #49 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msc View Post
I think it would be best to stick with a simple coast down timing aid rather then pretending
Pretending? If you go to the truck stop and weigh your car, wait for a calm day to do your tests, and the program helps get current air density data off the web for your test site to come up with reasonable figures, how is that pretending? Most obd gauges come within 3%, would you say they are "pretending too"? The point I'm trying to drive home is to make it easy for modders, the inspiration for this project, and to use the remaining resources to target that audience, not joe mashpedal.

Spreadsheets? You don't need any instrumentation changes at all if that is your argument, just write real fast

Obviously there needs to be some compromise between cost, installation difficulty, accuracy, ease of use. I think there is a reasonable approach that doesn't require pitot tubes to get a very good estimate of CDA, but it has to leverage online weather data for costs/simplicities sake. There may even be historical data by zipcode where you just need to enter the date/time/zip and the displayed CDA/RR numbers from your log.

Of course if you have pressure and temperature and humidity and wind instrumentation handy, then log those absolutely. Obviously teach the online program to allow you to override the web based weather with on-site measurements. I'm sure such instrumentation will be necessary to compare with the web derived weather results before stating that anyone is "pretending".

Last edited by dcb; 04-21-2011 at 02:56 AM..