View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 12:05 AM   #509 (permalink)
modul8
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Don't forget to factor battery replacement as an operating cost though. A lot of people omit that from their operating calcs, but the things are consumables, after all. Though a well designed car (ie. not the ForkenSwift) will prolong battery life.
I have been lurking and watching progress on FS for some time with considerable EV envy. I am starting to wonder if it might be possible to resurrect my 98 intrepid as a full sized EV. A fuel hog at around 25mpg with its 2.7L POS engine, I wonder if it might do better as an electric.
Before you judge my choice of vehicle, please know that previous to this car I owned a sprint, a swift and a firefly---all of these have been recycled by now. Family life has made owning a larger vehicle somewhat of a necessity.

anyhoo, you commented on what you feel to be a well-designed car(or not)
so i have 2 questions: if you strained your beer budget by 500 bucks somehow, what would be the best way to invest it in the FS? to improve its design?
2nd, if you had an intrepid with a dead engine in your driveway, would you think it possible/worthwhile to convert it (automatic trans) and where would you start? what is the basis for good EV design, in your opinion?