View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Ahhh I know what these are. I used these on my CO2 Cars!! (you always had an exit flat because of the minimum reqquirements for the Co2 cart hole dimensions this smoothed out the airflow by generating a vorte of air current. Shaved almost 2 tenths of a second off my Co2 cars run time! (same model ran 10 runs without then I added them and ran it 10 times again) I was impressed. I am not as certain how this would work scaled up. My models had wacky reynolds numbers that just do not scale up.

Might be worth trying though as they are very easy to make yourself. I do not think they would help that much on a car like mine but if you do have some sort of hatch it might work. If you are good at building them it might be worth a try IE it would not cost much at all so if it did not help you lost nothing except some time.

NOW in my case I was producing THRUST from the rear. The the vorticies had somewhere to go IE merge with. The thrust plume from the CO2 Cart. I would not think they would have a beneficial effect on a ballistic example such as our cars (its thrusting but via the ground so that does not count aerodynamically)

They might clean up airflow but they will not reduce drag UNLESS they eliminate an increase in drag from sloppy flow that is larger than there own drag contribution.

Huh at $2.50 I would not even bother making them myself and just buy them. Suck though no quantity discount. the 80 unit kit for truck/trailer is the same $2.50 per price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nerys For This Useful Post:
undeRGRound (11-11-2014)