View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
more going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by bteck View Post
so my car is similar size to aerocivic when it started, so why would i not see similar mileage as basjoos gets? just curious if there is more going on with his car than he states on his website?
--Either way, I'm planning on going a bit insane with this car, as I didn't spend much on the car and it is already ugly as sin, so i'm thinking at least I might get some efficiency gains out of it.
also, aerocivic has quite an upsweep on his boat tail, is this ideal? wouldn't it be better to "return the flow" to the level it was at before it was forced over the car? such as on the schor?
I think AeroCivic has a little better Cd going into the mods,and I believe it also has a smaller frontal area.AeroCivic also has the V-tec engine I believe and Mike has been very careful about his choice in tires.Friends had the Honda Civic V-tec and were seeing real world 55-mpg with a bone stock car.So maybe there is a powertrain advantage.
I haven't a clue about gearing but you can bet that it's been highly scrutinized.
The OBD-II tech that he has also allows him real-time data acquisition with respect to lean-burn and he can really optimize his driving for mpgs.
With other than aero mods you most certainly could push beyond the mid-sixties mpg.
I won't be able to tell you anything about the trailer yet as it remains an unknown quantity.Encouraging results so far.
As far as the diffuser angle,it was modeled after an aircraft he's fond of.The steeper angle no doubt protects it from ground-strikes with steep driveways and such,and with the length and top/side camber of the boat-tail the car is realizing really great pressure recovery.