View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bteck View Post
That nmakes sense, V-tec is scary cool. I was considering some other potential mods, however my lack of car-specific knowledge makes it difficult for me to assume i would be able to do much to the engine. as far as base line mileage I can get about fifty, driving hyper mile status, but not as good as the magestic V tec. I might do some tire pressure testing, I've only had the car for about a week, which means my absolute baseline is not as good as it could be. I'm really curious about the boat tail angles, i just got a high CFM fan for a mini wind tunnel I want to build, that should help me know what shape might be best. Also just a question, but would weight staging the car only increase mileage in acceleration situations correct? It should have almost no affect on highway, or am I mistaken?
If you'll leave the powertrain alone during the aero mods you won't upset your baseline,and any change to your mpg will have to have come from the streamlining.
You'll also be able to know your new Cd at any point based on your mpg at a given constant speed.
As far as the boat tail 'angles' are concerned,that's been worked out with the 'Aerodynamic Streamlining Template'.If you'll use it with the Aspire it will show you proper curvature for attached flow as far as you dare to go.
You can use it for the sides as well after locating the point of maximum body camber along the sides of the car.It will be the same curvature as for the roof,only it will probably begin in a different location.Don't know where it is on your car.
The thing about the 'Template' is that if you will stay 'on the curve',at a later date,if you want to add more savings,you just extend the curvature from where you left off.
With a very light 1-wheel trailer you could have the entire tail and around Cd 0.12 if you'll fair in all the wheels.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You'll have to help me out with 'weight staging',it's a term I'm not familiar with.
Weight is kind of a non-issue in purely constant-speed highway travel.I pushed my CRX up to 3,300-pounds ( Ford Taurus ) and still managed 50 mpg.Only a 2-mpg loss from the sub-1,900 lb original weight.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minimizing stops will have the greatest affect on your urban driving.My truck will get 39 mpg at a constant 45 mph.But with traffic,and traffic lights it drops to low 20s.Yes,there is a perpetual supply of oil buried beneath every un-synchronized traffic signal.