View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #28 (permalink)
Quasimoto
Quasi-Modder

[QUOTE=visionary;258784]Replies
Quasimoto – to be honest, until you mentioned it, I hadn’t put much thought into “unsprung weight”, although it’s a subject I’m very familiar with. My best guess is that of the 45kg increase only 10kg will be unsprung. The bigger (heavier) tyres and brakes are only about 5kg per end, and it’s a necessary evil as I must improve the spec to make it suitable to use at the higher speeds. But think of this – why will this significantly impair my ability to reach the 100mph target? Unsprung weight will play no part in straightline performance, its major effects will be shown on “ride and handling” and even then the better tyres brakes and dampers should outperform the stock C90 kit.

Since the total unsprung weight includes the lower fork legs, front fender, brakes, rotors, axle, wheel, tire; the rear swing arm, brakes, rotors, axle, wheel, and tire; It would be my guess that the total increase would be closer to 36kg unsprung. But of course I don't have the parts to weigh, so am only guessing.