View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
How bout let's not do it like the domicile thread.

That said, my perception towards automobile ownership has definitely changed over the years. Yes, I have a fleet but I contemplate thinning the herd... they are mostly toys anyway. As such they are not being run often, and as such they are not consuming fuel and polluting very much. Car hoarder.

There are metro areas where car ownership is almost more a liability than asset, and some have taken steps to have access to communal vehicles, or have non-car-ownership lives. That's all good. I know in Santa Cruz CA a person can live a very nice non-car-ownership life; they've done some nice bicycle-centric things there.

I have to go where the busses don't run, though. I'll keep a car around for that. The pickup and large trailer I could send down the road, but they're already depreciated and paid for, and useful besides (if not for me, with things I haul for others). At this point it's cheaper to keep it than get rid of it and then have to make arrangements for borrowing/renting a truck for when I do need it; if I didn't already have it I wouldn't go out today to get a truck and trailer.

Just saw an article today about how GM is keeping OnStar "active" even when the vehicle owner stops the service. Soooo... GM is able to track and keep a database of all OnStar vehicles (and their whereabouts, movements, etc.) whether the owners have "active" OnStar service or not. I never did like the concept of OnStar- it reminded me of Orwell's "1984" too much.

But then I went for Progressive's "SnapShot" which is pretty much a tattletale similar to OnStar, although supposedly it only knows trips times, speeds, and accel/decels, not whereabouts. At least in that case participation is voluntary (for now.... ) and it puts some money back in my pocket UNLIKE the OnStar B.S.