View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

I live in the near city suburbs of Edinburgh, mainly so that A-junior can go to a decent school, otherwise I would happily out of town.

For a brief period I worked in the centre of town so of course I did the commute thing on buses - its only about 5 miles to the town centre. During that time whilst minding my own business on buses I had to intervene in one mugging, worried daily about the usual drunks getting out of hand and had to endure leaking buses with either heating that was on full in summer or not working in winter.

As I was on contract and there was a car park at the end of the road where I worked, I asked about parking on expenses. This was granted and I never went back.

During that period and before I was disolusioned by the whole thing I did strongly consider getting rid of my car, but that was partly to get a weekend classic project toy thing. So I would have had A car anyway.

My main reconsideration has been in HOW I own a car. When younger I would have credit payments rolling on a car, but since we were fleeced by Volvo I have refused car credit ever since. George only came along when I could pay cash, and the previous Skodas were the same. Also I keep cars longer too - in the credit days I would roll over and get a new one maybe every 24 months, now I aim for 5 years at least depending on the warranty of course.