View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #259 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
RANGE:
In real-world riding, I have gotten a minimum of 22 miles and a maximum of just over 30 miles.

Of course this really does depend on speed, terrain, weather, etc. (Your mileage may vary!)

One thing I have found though, is that the actual number of miles per charge DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL!

The only thing that does is; can you get to where you want to go, or can't you?

I simply know that there are places that are within riding range or NOT within riding range.

In other words, does it work for you, or not!?

Where I live, I am about two miles outside a town of 11,000 people. There are stores, restaurants, the library, and pretty much all the civilization a person could possibly be on a daily basis.

This city is on the far outskirts of a metropolitan area of about a million people. But for me to make it to the big city, it ends up being about 80 miles round trip. (And I do have to do that on a fairly regular basis for work. Gotta earn a living!)

For me, an electric vehicle makes sense for all my local commuting. To design an EV with the range I would need to go to the city and back would be expensive and challenging. A Nissan Leaf could do it, but I would rather spend $36,000 on solar panels than on a car.

Heck, I could build a $16,000 electric car, and get $20,000 worth of solar panels for the cost of a commercially-built electric vehicle.

So, until I do that, I am perfectly happy driving my 30mpg pickup truck when the EV's don't have the range for where I'm going.

I also like the concept of the Plug-In Hybrid. In experiments with the Geo Metro, I've seen that it's completely possible for someone to build one themselves, with good results, but only if the system is really integrated. I may at some point build a plug-in hybrid as a replacement for a long distance vehicle.

I do have to say that an electric motorcycle is a handy vehicle. Doesn't take up much space in the garage, quiet, quick, just hop-on-and-go!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Ryland (10-04-2011)