View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #66 (permalink)
visionary
Stick your neck out...

Interim update & reply

Update 007
Progress has been slower than I would have liked because my full-time workload has been quite pressing. There have been a few changes worth noting and I have made progress on related matters.
Firstly the changes – the intermediate drive shaft has been fixed and this allows the geometry of the rear suspension to be completed. I am using a “monoshock” from a Honda (it’s the same Fireblade unit I used on my original prototype) but its mounted horizontally beneath the seat. This compact installation should be quite strong, but my principle reason for using this design is to keep all the mechanical components within the central “B” unit. This allows the front and rear sections to be quickly removed should redesign be necessary.

Image – top shot of shaft & shock

In response to points raised by Curtis
The ideal cooling solution would be liquid cooling, I agree, but I’m already some way along with the project and I prefer to finish “as is” rather than delay. I’m a firm believer in the concept of “a fast failure” – where its often more beneficial to get something working promptly, so that a full re-design can include lessons learned.
Here is how I hope to control engine temperature on this first air-cooled prototype.
The image (below) shows how the cool (high pressure) air enters through a duct below the pedal area. It expands and slows before circulating around the cylinder head and barrel. I will use an electric fan to direct this cool air onto the cylinder more directly. Then the heated air is ducted through the side bodywork before exiting via vents (placed at low pressure zones just behind the leading edges of the side panels). Thus the natural pressure differential between front and sides drives the circulation.
Additionally I hope to liberate some of the warm air due for exit, and use it to heat the cabin.