View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
TXwaterdog
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
I've been toying with mine as well and I seem to get better mpg in traffic (stop and go) with the overdrive off. My thought is that my 2012 Focus seems to be getting better mpgs under heavier load (higher rpms) while accelerating so OD gets flipped off on hill climbs, takeoffs, and traffic where quick responses are more suited (I attempt to use 80% acceleration if possible). I get much better highway mpgs with OD on at speed and actually see a MPG loss when I flip off OD above 55mph.

I haven't really documented my driving habits yet but I did notice that my overall tank saw an improvement from 34mpg to 37mpg. On the improved tank I also didn't use cruise control at all. So I'm not sure if it's the hill assist/ OD off or my feathery foot. I just filled my tank up and I'll document this tank for the OD use and the next one I won't use it. Hopefully I'm doing it right... my onboard computer seems to think I am. But time will tell.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
The Following User Says Thank You to TXwaterdog For This Useful Post:
Quiplet (10-31-2011)