View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
TXwaterdog
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Grammeter View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

Some replys:

Roof Racks

I've never liked them. I've had full pickup ladder racks and they work great. They do make "construction grade" RR's for vans, but what you get on cars is really suited for small items. In particular there is little fore/aft wheelbase which makes anything long a serious aerodynamic concern. Too many plywood roof rack hauls end up on YouTube(!)
The simple solution is to create a base plywood template that bolts directly to your roof rack. Use that base to strap your new plywood to. It won't go anywhere at that point. I can't seem to find weight load capacities for roof racks so there might be a load concern there...

Quote:
Trailer

These are a good solution - especially when you have a manual transmission which is what I'm looking for. However, like said before, you have the cost of the rig and where do you store it. Both issues with me. I would really like to avoid this.
they make fold up trailers that store quite easily.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George